Back in January 2013 I made this blog entry.
Part of it was a look forward into 2013 and a few plans that I had hope to achieve. It is unusual for me to put such personal goals on line and there were quite a few of a more personal nature that I decided not to include.
I thought it would be good to look back and see if I managed to achieve any of my New Year Resolutions.
* Teach my kids chess
Yes! I had great fun teaching them chess and they picked it up very quickly.
* Play more card games / jigsaws with my kids
Yes! Not really the jigsaws but I bought a few different card games which I play with them fairly often.
* Run 5km in less then 23 minutes. (currently my best time is 25 mins)
50/50 I managed to get my best time down into the 24 minute area.
* Run 10kms in less then 50 minutes (currently my best time is 53 mins)
50/50 I managed to get it into the 51 minute area on two occasions when really pushing it.
* Have everything in order for Seerung to gain Australian Citizenship and have a date set for when it can happen in 2014.
Yes! Had a meeting with immigration in Darwin and was given a date of May this year when we can apply.
* Get myself an APEC card for travel.
No. Looked into it but my business in Laos did not quite have all the requirements so I have let this drop.
* Travel with my family to somewhere different (either in Australia or a different country)
Yes! We had a lovely time in Tasmania. (Check out my entries from December 2013.)
* Work on getting over my fear of public speaking
50/50 I forced myself to accept a couple on invitations to speak in front of a medium sized group. The first time was bad but the following two times were much better. I was the MC at my sisters second wedding which went well even though I was a bundle of nerves. I am on my way but still need a lot more practice.
* Eat less meat
50/50 I started to have some specific days of not eating meat but after a few months I stopped doing it. I am more conscious of how much meat I cook or server up so a small success but could do a lot better.
* Turn my computer off for longer periods
No. I failed miserably at this one.
* Take the kids camping at least once.
50/50 We did not technically sleep over night but did spend a full day with a camp fire cooking three meals and exploring the area with friends.
* Take the kids bush walking.
50/50 See above.
* Read more about fasting and participate in my first fast.
50/50 I did three fasts. They were small. 24 hours for the first one. 48 hours for the second one and I gave up after 24 hours for the third one even though I had planned to go 2 – 3 days.
* Complete or have everything in place for at least one new business or real estate deal.
I spent a lot of time working on a project through out the year but unfortunately a lack of land thwarted my efforts for a while. When some came up I then discovered that someone else with the same idea had already started construction and so I was pipped at the post. A very good lesson in striking while the iron is hot. I did however purchase a property late in the year that I am happy with and have things in place for 2014 along the same line.
So there you have it. Over all not a bad outcome I guess considering this is the first time in my life I have ever written a list like this.